At Unlimited Security, we specialize in keeping you and your property safe. We provide you with peace of mind by offering innovative monitored security alarm systems with local and responsive service. Not only do we want to give you a feeling of safety at home and in your place of business, but we also care about your personal safety when you are out and about. Helping you avoid becoming a victim of crime is a top priority of ours. We would like to share with you some personal safety tips to reduce the risk of crimes happening to you.
What do criminals look for when they pick out a victim?
Criminals can be very clever, and they often look for specific things when they are choosing someone to attack. According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department in North Carolina, criminals look for three things when they are selecting a victim:
Keeping these three factors in mind when you are out and about can help you be more aware of yourself and your surroundings. Other things you should consider regarding your personal safety include:
- Always be alert. Know who is around you as well as what is going on around you.
- Walk like you know what you are doing. Criminals can sense fear and nervousness. If you are walking purposefully, you are less likely of being approached.
- Stay in well-lit areas. Try to avoid walking in places with bad lighting.
- Be prepared. Not only should you always carry your cell phone in case you need to call for help, but you should also carry some sort of safety device, such as a flashlight, a whistle, or pepper spray, whenever you are walking alone at night.
- Scan your surroundings. In case you are followed by someone, you should look for open businesses to enter to prevent that person from approaching you.
- Be wary of strangers. Keep alert if someone asks you for directions and continues to try to engage you in conversation.
What should I do if I am attacked by a criminal?
Sometimes, no matter how vigilant we can be, the worst case scenario happens. In the instance you do become a crime victim, remember the following tips:
- Do not argue with your attacker. Obey all of his or her orders, and keep the communication simple.
- Be aware of the details. For identification purposes, take notice of your attacker’s appearance, weapon used, and type of vehicle. This information will help the police find the criminal.
- Report the incident to the police immediately. You should stay on the phone with the emergency operator until the police arrive.
Have questions about personal safety? Click here to contact Unlimited Security to learn more tips about keeping yourself safe from crime.