FREE Home Burglary Prevention Tips
- Close all windows and doors and keep them locked. Home burglars are opportunists. Leaving a door or window open makes it easier for them to enter your house.
- Secure sliding glass doors with a metal rod or something sturdy in the track. Installing vertical bolts will also help prevent burglars from forcing the door open or lifting it off the track.
- Always lock the door to an attached garage. Don’t rely on your automatic garage door opener for security.
- Keep the perimeter of your home well lit. Installing low voltage outdoor lighting is a cost-effective way to discourage intruders, as well as to highlight a house. Outdoor motion sensor lighting may also be a good idea.
- Never leave clues when you are away on a trip. Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway or park in front of your home.
- Keep some shades and blinds up and curtains open to make it look like someone is at home.
- Create the illusion that you are home. Using timers on lights, radios and TV’s. Making your residence appear occupied, even when no one is home, will deter thieves.
- Never leave a message on your answering machine telling people you aren’t home.
- Keep your bushes and trees well trimmed away from entrances and walkways. Hedges provide a hiding place for burglars who need only a minute to break in through a window or door.
- Organize a community watch program with your neighbors to protect your neighborhood.
Installing a home security system makes your home less attractive to burglars. Protect your family and assets from home burglary now by requesting more information from the Alarm Lady.